|The History of Beulah Baptist Church
It was the Fall of 1939 that Rev. O.E. Kelly solicited the aide of Deacon & Mrs. James Edwards, Mrs. E.
Brown and Mrs. Viola West to organize the Beulah Baptist Church. The first service was held on the 3rd
Sunday of October, 1939 at the home of Rev. & Mrs. Kelly on Bedford Street in the city of Newark, New
Jersey. Beulah has always been a family oriented place of worship and some to the first families to join were
the Booker, Sercey, Rev. Murray, Booker Parrish, Brookins, & Ballard families. The first ministries to be
organized were the Deaconess, Trustee, Usher, Senior Choir & Missionary ministries. Pastor Kelly served
faithfully until his death in 1942.
The church was few in number but continued to move forward with Pastor J.C. Calhoun being called to pastor
in 1943. The church relocated to a store-front building on Lewis Street, which the later purchased. Services
were held in the basement until they were able to remodel. The Beulah Baptist Church's incorporation was
granted from Trenton, NJ in 1943. The church continued to seek higher ground and purchased a Turkish Bath
House located at 38 Charlton Street, Newark, NJ on February 8, 1951.
Transition to higher ground yet continued. In 1952, Rev. J.C. Crawford was called to Pastor. A loud speaker
was placed on the outside of the church so that people passing by could hear Rev. Crawford preaching and the
choir singing. Many were drawn inside by hearing the true and living Gospel and additional families were
added. Families that became members during this time were the Vick, Baldwin, Walls, Marshall & Wallace
The first mortgage burning service was held in April 1965. God continued to bless Beulah and on Sunday
April, 9, 1967 Pastor Crawford and about 125 young members, led a motorcade to our current location at 580
South 12th Street, Newark, NJ. Additional ministries we added to the church to support and aid the
ministry. The church made several, additional purchases on South 12th Street. As the church continued to
grow spiritually, Beulah was heard over the radio every Sunday morning for more than ten years.
Pastor J.C. Crawford was a devoted, committed, caring and awesome man of God and he served Beulah
Baptist Church for 37 years until his death in October of 1989. We praise God for this mighty man of valor
for imparting the vision that God had given for that season which is now becoming a realized vision for today.
The church continued to grow with Rev. Andre Jackson as the new pastor in November, 1990. The reality of
the growing needs of the community propelled the church into various outreach services to reach those who
were drug-addicted and in need of family services.
In August 1995, the Lord sent a new thing to the earth. The call of pastor was extended to Rev. Gerald L.
Dickson, our current Pastor & Teacher. Through his gentle and meek spirit of leadership, the members of
Beulah Baptist Church opened their arms to Bountiful Blessing where Pastor Dickson was the pastor &
founder. The two churches merged together to become one branch of Zion.
The church was taken on a new mind-set of true worship, true ministry and stewardship. The Educational
Department & Teaching Ministry of the Sunday School was always a vital part of the church's ministry. The
Bible Institute is well attended by members & visitors who seek a closer relationship with God. Our pastor
believes in teaching and equipping the people of God with the Word.
Pastor Dickson and the church is concerned about the community and the daily growing need of the
community. The Streams of Hope Ministry, which ministers to those who suffer with drug addictions and
mental & emotional distress meet weekly and services those who are in need of referral services and
assistance. The H.E.A.L. Ministry, services those who are affected or infected with HIV/AIDS and partners
with other community service providers to minister to the needs of the community.
History is made possible through the sincere efforts of devoted individuals to a given cause. This is just as
true when looking over the history of the Beulah Baptist Church. Their endeavors were possible by an
all-powerful and sustaining God who loves those who are found engaging in the edification of His Kingdom
here on earth.
Persecution has not crushed this church; time had not abated the church's stability! For this church has been
founded on a rock, To God Be The Glory for the things He has done and the greater things that He will bring
Copyright © 2006, deccreation.com. All rights reserved
|Beulah Baptist Church
"Observe the Past,
Respect the Present and Pursue the Future"